Author Topic: Thermal printer for shipping labels  (Read 932 times)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 67
Thermal printer for shipping labels
« on: July 03, 2016, 11:29:10 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm doing research for a 4" X 6" thermal printer for shipping labels, for USPS through PayPal.
I'm a small quantity shipper, normally shipping a few boxes a day with a spike on Mondays of 5-10, so on Sunday night I have to set aside a block of time for packaging and labeling, any time savings would be welcome. I'm currently printing on standard paper then taping it to the box, I considered using sticker sheet labels through my standard printer but I don't want to deal with switching paper back and forth.
I'm looking at the DYMO 4XL, Zebra LP 2844, and the Zebra ZP450. There is an Internet seller Hippodeals. Com that has refurbished LP 2844 with Ethernet and USB connection that I'm considering, hoping that I can plug into my household router.
I welcome any thoughts or experiences you would like to share.
Thanks, Scott

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Thermal printer for shipping labels
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »
The shipping agent where we buy our shipping from recommened Zebra GK420d, it is on the investement plan because I deal with the same problem as you.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 03:12:40 PM »
I can't confirm if paypal.com or usps.com is compatible with a 4"x6" label printer.  Endicia and Stamps.com offer monthly service for a modest fee.  Endicia is, to me, a wonderfully simple to use interface and worth every penny of their monthly fee.

As for the printer, pick the best deal for a Zebra LP 2844 on eBay and get it (:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=zebra%20lp2844&ssPageName=GSTL

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 09:28:52 PM »
I ended up purchasing a refurbished printer from the EBay seller Hippovariety, which is Hippodeals.
I had originally purchased a new unit off of Amazon, but the seller never sent my order after waiting three weeks.
This is my first label, so I will see how much time I save moving forward, but I already like how fast it is having sticky labels and not having to tape them.
Scott

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 10:59:27 PM »
Just a little update on the thermal printer, this thing has quickly became a key piece of equipment in my operation. Which means if it broke tomorrow, I wouldn't think twice about buying another one.
I ship through PayPal, and have one computer set up to this printer, then I use my IPad to print packing lists on a standard wireless printer, this thing will save money on printing since it doesn't use ink.
I highly recommend picking up one of these printers if you ship more than a few boxes a day.
Below is a picture of packaging prep for my my busiest shipping day, Monday and I would guess that this thing saves me two minutes per package when you take into account all the work of a print, cutting and taping of a standard printed label.
Enjoy, Scott
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:14:20 PM by SunriseTacticalGear »