Author Topic: Source for g-hook alternative?  (Read 6197 times)

edvin

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Source for g-hook alternative?
« on: August 05, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »
Hi! I want to get rid of some buckles and use hooks instead but I'm struggling to find a good source. Needs to have a ladderlock style tension mechanism built in because of space limitation. I have tried g-hooks but their tension mechanism is as we all know, not very good. Plastic or metal doesn't matter, but it needs to be fairly strong. They will be used to attach various different, optional, pockets or to close rolltops. The main reason why I want to use the hooks is that I don't have add extra buckles to the main bag, only a small webbing loop. I have considered using ITW Quasm molle buckles that the user would add when needed but I want to try and avoid those sorts of solutions to keep the user friendliness up.

Would prefer 20mm as that's what I use today and larger is a bit overkill.

I have looked at Woojin who have some hooks that looks very good, but I haven't found a source that sells low quantities.

http://www.woojinplastic.com/products/detail/391/category:clip-n-special-hook

Extremtextil also have an alternative but only in 1 inch/25mm. No mention of manufacturer.

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/G-buckle-webbing-hook-plastic-adjustable-25mm::2755.html

Any recommendations or alternatives?

Archietect

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
Re: Source for g-hook alternative?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 12:00:13 PM »
Funny you mention this. I just saw a Duraflex alternative which doesn't seem to have reached suppliers yet. "Ghost Eye Tensionlock with Hook". If someone can chime in with Duraflex suppliers I will bird-dog more information.

http://www.duraflexgroup.com/productDetail.aspx?id=615&sort=backpack

draaven

• View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »
Funny you mention this. I just saw a Duraflex alternative which doesn't seem to have reached suppliers yet. "Ghost Eye Tensionlock with Hook". If someone can chime in with Duraflex suppliers I will bird-dog more information.

PKsupply has Duraflex.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 03:54:02 PM »
I just sent Rita at PK supply an Email, I hear she is at a show this week and may be around the Reps.
Scott

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »
I just sent Rita at PK supply an Email, I hear she is at a show this week and may be around the Reps.
Scott
Rita replied to me today and said she would look when she got back to PK, I will post a review of the sample here if she can find one to send me.
Scott

edvin

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 02:54:29 AM »

Nice find! I really like how they angled the hook outwards, should help keep it secure!

Scott
Rita replied to me today and said she would look when she got back to PK, I will post a review of the sample here if she can find one to send me.
Scott

Great! Keep us posted!

I found an ebay seller with some of the Woojin buckles, but he wants 1.5 dollars each plus ~30 dollars shipping :/ Kind of steep but I might go for it unless I can't find another source.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 10:39:14 PM »
Sorry for the delay, Rita from PK supply in Washington state got me some samples last Saturday, but I have been Jammed up all week getting orders out the door.
My initial thoughts are that the hooks look pretty good, the downside is that if you pull hard on the webbing laced through the hook it flexes open, it never broke and didn't let the webbing fall out of the hook but it may not be considered strong enough to replace a steel hook, I would have to break one while hooked to a scale to really know, but our customers may not like the amount of flex that they see. The next issue is that is thicker than the steel hook so it doesn't lay down as nice on Molle panels. The end of the hook is shaped in such a way to not slip off of the webbing easily but it also makes it tougher to lace it, so it is not a "quick attach" hook.
Keep in mind that these are my "opinions" and should not deter you from trying these for yourself.
In the pictures I compare it to the G hooks that I get from GSI, which are their house brand.
Thanks, Scott

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »
I've been using the GSI hooks for a longtime, the resistance and coating are good to go in Black, the Tan ones tend to scratch too easily though.