Author Topic: Experimental hypalon patch for SurMount buckle  (Read 1223 times)

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 34
Experimental hypalon patch for SurMount buckle
« on: August 06, 2016, 09:22:37 AM »
Experimental lasercut hypalon patch for reinforcement of ITW Nexus SurMount buckle when it is installed to thin layer of fabric (and I believe you must reinforce it when you deal with one layer of 500/1000d Cordura). It has shape of the female buckle that goes under the fabric plus 3 mm added around the buckle perimeter, 4 holes for buckle legs and rectangular hole for central arc (I cut arc area so added thickness is distributed evenly). All corners are rounded.

Because of hypalon it doesnt need stitching and hiding the edges - it will stay in place and wouldnt fall apart

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 68
Re: Experimental hypalon patch for SurMount buckle
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »
Very nice, I currently use that buckle on a piece of gear that has 3 layers, one layer is a piece of 2" webbing that I put in there to support the buckle. I have kinda stayed away from single layers because I also felt it needed more support, your washer is a great idea.
Scott

edvin

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 02:56:41 AM »
Nice! i usually reinforce thinner fabrics with a small piece of fabric with a heatsealable coating on it. Cut a square with rounded edges, melt it to the fabric with an small iron. I use the same technique to reinforce fabric when I add grommets

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 08:59:47 AM »
It's not attaching the buckle that is a problem, it's those wonky legs that keep breaking. Of any hardware failure, this is the one I've seen the most and pretty much the only non (field) repairable failure.

The QASM is a superior buckle to this piece of shit.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
I wonder how it is compared to Utx-Duraflex surmount buckle with its three mushroom-like legs. We don't have complaints for it, and I though this US made buckle is superior to commercial Utx