Author Topic: Share other sewing opportunities  (Read 2801 times)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 69
Share other sewing opportunities
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »
I'm sure most members here get asked if they can sew one thing or another. Lately I have been doing tarp repairs and instead of dragging a dirty tarp into my shop I make a sewing station on my carport. Just an FYI I am able to charge $45.00 per hour plus material and the customer doesn't blink an eye since my repairs are normally less than half the cost of a new one, the tarps are 35' X 92", since they are mesh they aren't too heavy to work with.

Is anyone else doing sewing work that is not exactly the "normal" for a Gearmaker?? If so, I'm sure others here would be interest in hearing about it, please share what you can.
Scott

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Share other sewing opportunities
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:20:54 PM »
I've been doing machine covers for CNC Plasma cutters. Pretty challengin considering the sizes.
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 05:46:34 AM »
I have done alot of repairs on blankets for horses.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
I did a zipper repair on a medium sized tent. I think I charged 50 an hour, same thing, the dude didn't blink and even tipped me.

I was approached by a coach at the Olympic training center to modify a jacket for a shooter, but that kind of fizzled out and I moved to kansas.

I did a repair on a leather hatchet cover for a coworker, it was his grandfathers...

I sewed hypalon corner reinforcements on elastic table cover for a radio dj.

I did some hardware replacement on a leather satchel for a dude.

When I have the time or opportunity, I generally try to take on the odd jobs.

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:20:45 PM »
I've done triangular grommets/hypalon reenforcements on a tarp; and other small projects, basically, I'm a cheap stitch whore for $22/hr.  That's what I was making as Deputy Sheriff when I got hurt, so that is what I feel my physical pain is worth sitting at a sewing machine.

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:47:57 PM »
Recently, I've been making 30 round magazine pouches for a lesser known Armalite rifle from the 1950's, the AR-15.

But seriously, I absolutely love doing the crazier jobs.

I have found a lot of work in repairing or rebuilding boat and grill covers. The marine community will pay a metric shit ton of money for custom work when using UV specific fabric (thank you sailrite.com!).

Custom length tie down straps are always an easy one (maybe too easy for purposes of this thread).

My brothers are arborists. In the past few years I have done quite a few projects involving Trucker's Tarp bags and pouches, non-weight bearing daisy chains for gear racking, and various pouches and lanyards for the climber to organize their harnesses.

I have also found two other niche groups that want custom sewn products. They're extremely risqué, but the more risqué, the more money. These groups prefer exercise extreme discretion, for that they pay very well. If you're interested, PM me regarding this niche.

I have also found a lot of work making 3" wide guitar straps. Which reminds me, I need to see if there is someone on this forum who supplies hyphalon fabric and also has a laser cuter...

I have also found a lot of work in reinforcing existing products: some has an off-the-shelf product, I'll take it, flip it inside out, and reinforce the seams with heavy duty thread, usually 138 polyester. I've also applied this to contacts I have within the military, reinforce their standard issue pouches before a deployment with 138 nylon - rather than building custom pouches - it's easier to charge $5 (quantity discount price) a pouch  to reinforce it - and they'll pay it.

Also, pouches dedicated to chewing tobacco cans. Civilian and military. Win.

Another niche. This has to do with wool, high end wool garments, like Dale of Norway wool sweaters. Cotton storage bags. Cotton so the sweater can be stored in a breathable bag through the warmer months. This could also apply to other high end apparel.

Wine bottles! Women need to transport and/or gift them in style... Neoprene pouches with a colorful cover fill this need.

This thread has also made me realize that I don't use my camera enough.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
I hem my friends pants for beer.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 10:11:34 AM »
I hem my friends pants for beer.
I have to admit, that's about what I charge for hemming friends pants.

For my wife's friends, I normally use size 138 thread on their "chick jeans" with the fancy stitching and bling, it blends well.
Scott

thewolf

• View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 07:08:26 PM »
I've repaired backpacks, hemmed pants and shorts, made curtains for my wife, made a set of gaiters for a buddy in Alaska, and currently working on some couch cushions and pillow covers.

I mostly do odd jobs now since they're fairly simple and I get to learn a lot about my machine's capabilities!

Stoner63A

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 08:35:25 AM »
I sew patches on for free for the local Biker Church.  So far I've been brought about a months worth of home-cooked lasagne, tamales, meatloaf and other meals.   And they bought  a new battery for my Durango when I had bad couple months.   They've taken better care of me than my former department.

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »
My actual job is AFE in the air force and we tend to make items for the aircraft at my base. Some recent items have included Pitot tube covers, Grate pads for when you climb up the hatch into the aircraft and have to open the floor grate. People hit their heads on those a lot. We have equipment on the aircraft that is used for demo to passengers (like a stewardess does when you fly). Those kits need to be kept stored in something so I had the privilege of designing a simple hanging bag to keep them in. Neat to be able to say you made something that's going to be flying around the world with crews doing missions. As miniscule of an item as it may be. Another item we make is a big yellow net that can be put into a hatch at the rear of the jet. We call it an aft hatch barrier. Its just so that the aircraft can be worked on safely by maintenance on a hot day with the hatch open for air flow. Thing takes 11 pieces of webbing and 42 box X's to make. And all we have are Consew 206-RB's. Making this stuff isn't our primary job but sewing is a small part of the career field. Learning the trade and having an interest in paintball and tactical gear is what drove me more into doing this outside of work. Now my sewing room at home is better and more equipped than the one at work. Probably not a good thing haha.

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »

My current job is a single needle machine operator at a small, family owned custom cap making company, The pay is average but for someone who's into sewing this is like a dream job and a good learning experience.

I also got into sewing because I'm into airsoft and tactical gear, some of the things I did before doing nylon gear on top of my head are:

"Crye mod" BDU pants for clients to allow the use of Crye airflex kneepads, I was doing it for $90 a piece

Repair jeans for friends and family

Repair pillow cases

Repair curtain for my mom

Make a new leash for our dog

Archietect

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »

My current job is a single needle machine operator at a small, family owned custom cap making company, The pay is average but for someone who's into sewing this is like a dream job and a good learning experience.

I can't seem to find any CONUS source for hat brim inserts. Any suggestions? What kind of machines are involved in the business you work at? I had the interest in making a cap here or there, but realized I probably would need a cylinder arm or post bed machine.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »
I would also be interested in hearing more about this hat making business and sewing process.
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

flimmuur

• View Profile
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 06:39:28 PM »

A tradition at the University of Cambridge is the extravagant May Balls at the end of the year, post exams.  My good friend was the head carpenter at John's this year and roped me into sewing the canvas covers for the wagons in the Wild West themed court.
Flimmuur Tactical (Cambridge, UK)
https://www.facebook.com/ftactical/