Author Topic: Different backpack strap mounting options  (Read 3620 times)

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Different backpack strap mounting options
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »
6061 T-6 Aircraft Alloy Staves:
   I've used Onlinemetals.com for over ten years, for 0.125" x 1" flat bar staves and formerly, machining stock:
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1125&step=4&showunits=inches&id=997&top_cat=60

Cut to length then dip in Plastic Dip or buy the plastic end caps from John Howard Inc:
http://www.johnhowardcompany.com/Stave%20Cap%20Berry%20Compliant.htm

cdhtac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 03:39:19 AM »
I've made a few that are similar to the webbing V method CDHTac showed. That method can be easily adapted to mount on a webbing and Velcro ladder system to allow vertical adjustment of the shoulder straps.... Think PALS for pack straps.

Ok, you got me very interested :) you wouldn't happen to have a picture of your system?

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 04:02:12 AM »
I've seen some adjustment system with webbing that seems pretty simple and effective, for instance:

http://www.deuter.com/NL/nl/tips-for-backpacks/how-to-adjust-the-back-length-6180-1889.html?details

cdhtac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 04:12:00 AM »
Yeah, i'm familiar with that but never bothered to try

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 04:31:14 AM »
As far as I could figure, this system was pioneered by Lowe in their early packs in the eighties (look up the CFP-90 pack), and may have been the inspiration for the PALS system.

I have tried a few packs with this centered adjustment system. The main problem is, it's not stable in the vertical axis, meaning the pack rolls right and left when moving. Having the shoulder straps stabilized with the help of aluminium stays helps but it's not much good with a load exceeding 15kgs. Maybe a parallel ladder system would be the correct answer.

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 05:18:34 PM »
As far as I could figure, this system was pioneered by Lowe in their early packs in the eighties (look up the CFP-90 pack), and may have been the inspiration for the PALS system.

I have tried a few packs with this centered adjustment system. The main problem is, it's not stable in the vertical axis, meaning the pack rolls right and left when moving. Having the shoulder straps stabilized with the help of aluminium stays helps but it's not much good with a load exceeding 15kgs. Maybe a parallel ladder system would be the correct answer.

Same problem with an enduser's choice of using the issue Medium Ruck Y Harness to support the Predator-style MG Gunner Ruck I built him last year.   We converted the Medium Ruck to be able to accept the Alice, Downeast 1606MM or 1609 U Frames, according to mission or deployment.   I advised him to use the Large Molle II Ruck's shoulder harness and waistbelt, once it was strapped to the side of his Stryker.   But he either got lazy or ?, he used the Y Harness with the 1606MM Frame, the single center strap was not sufficient to keep the 600+ 7.62 belted ammo, hydration bladder and AG kit, even with the 1606MM Frame instead of the 1609 U Frame.

We had same problem with the old Alice LC-1/LC-2 Load Bearing Equipment, the issue Y Suspenders didn't sufficiently support real world Infantryman kit, which was much more than the 2 mag pouches, 1 canteen, etc, shown in FM 21-15.  Most savvy Grunts replaced the Alice Y Suspenders with either the canvas M1956 or nylon M1967 H-Harness equipment harness, especially when used with a buttpack. 

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 08:19:10 PM »
So if you still want that adjustability, make 2 ladders instead of one 8)

IMO adjustable straps/backs are only a thing if you have a proper waist belt, without a proper load bearing belt the adjustable strap/back is pretty much non-sense. And the packs are usually way out of what size I prefer (70 liter +).
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna