Author Topic: Some people still haven't figured out email...  (Read 1946 times)

JTT

• View Profile
    • Jerking the Trigger
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
Some people still haven't figured out email...
« on: December 12, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »
I just posted the following on the JTT Facebook page:

I get frequent emails from people asking for tracking information for their orders or asking what something costs. Sometimes they want to know why they can't add something to their cart or they ask for a quote for an agency purchase. I get emails asking when things will be in stock or asking general product questions. I also receive a ton of T&E requests so I can't even imagine how many an actual manufacturer receives. These are people who are emailing JTT thinking that they are contacting some other manufacturer or dealer.

Generally, I am able to figure out who they meant to contact and I politely direct them to the correct vendor or dealer website. This week I think I set a personal record for this. I received at least one of these emails every day and sometimes more. Everyone of the examples above happened this week at least once.

The point is, and I have written about this before, keep this in mind when you see some anonymous guy bad mouthing a small business on the internet for not returning his emails. There is a good chance that the goober just can't figure out how email (or the internet in general) works.

I have posted similar things on Facebook before but this week was special because of the sheer volume of these types of emails. I can only assume it has to do with Christmas shopping. It is easy to see why small businesses just stop dealing with email in as timely a way as they should do to the mind numbing stupidity they deal with frequently.

Kord

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Some people still haven't figured out email...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:21:09 PM »
Yes, I would say that email much like a drivers license some people should just not have.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »
I try to reply to questions from my customers as soon as possible, but some don't realize that I'm a small one man operation and thoughtfully answering their questions eats up a lot of my time. I have been asked multiple times to give tracking information on a persons order, thinking to myself that if they would have used a "good" email address they would have gotten an email confirmation from my system.
Rant off,
Scott

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »
I had a recent issue with this.  The first random person to order from my website.  He sends me an e-mail asking if I offer the cobra D-ring belt with a hook and loop retainer for the d-ring.  I say I can, but it isn't necessary.  6 emails later, he asks how he inputs the size information.  I ask him to read the last paragraph in the description, which says how to size your belt and enter the information.  30 seconds later, I get an e-mail back saying "oops, I already ordered it, can you make one a 34 and one 36?"

The sizes changed again, and I think the conversation was about 12 total e-mails.   I am not trying to talk trash about the dude, because I realize I put a lot more time and attention into the details of my gear than most people will realize.

I have a theory, and that is that if an e-mail ends with "sent from my iPhone 5, samsung whatever, or any mobile device", that people are less likely to treat that conversation like it is happening over e-mail, and more like a text message, especially if you reply quickly.

I've come to learn that people don't like to read, they just want to click.  They would rather spend the time typing the question out and waiting for an answer than looking in the FAQ page, or even reading ALL CAPS print on your page.  I'm working on finding a way to mitigate this.

This can be problematic with my belt sizes.  I custom make all my belts, and size them to the inch.  I have instructions on all my belt pages, but I don't think people read them.  I'm thinking of adding a pop up with a check box that says "I have read and understand the belt sizing protocol, and have followed it" before checking out.  From my years of installing software, I know that most people will probably just click and proceed without reading.

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 268
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 08:32:50 PM »
I think every company deals with these issues. I figure the more attention I give to customers, the better experience they have, and the more likely they will recommend to friends. Since I don't have store front, answering emails is the only REAL customer service that I deal with. I look at it as an opertunity to set my company apart from the large, mass producing companies. Having a good product is great, but I think excellent customer service is just as important.

To mitigate issues, I try and layout the info on my website as best I can to make things like sizing easier to understand. Most customers read the info, but some don't. To date, I've never had an order returned, or exchanged but despite this, I've instituted a 10% restocking fee, simply because my gear is made to order and things like belts are so varied. For special sizes or products that aren't on the website, I've made them a final sale.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:35:01 PM by Gear Dynamics »