Author Topic: FNG Intro  (Read 2942 times)

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
FNG Intro
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:06:22 AM »
       Former Army Infantry, now disabled LOD from career in law enforcement.   Sewing as a means to survival right now under Adler Armory.    I'd like to either have one of the big gear mfg pick up my product or, import a Colombiana to do my sewing for me   8)

I started out with a heavy duty Brother knock-off machine for 20yrs, when I was doing WWII reenactor uniforms and kit.  I bought an Artisan Singer 20U knock-off machine off of Craigslist that soon paid for itself but I was busting needles pushing the machine's limits thru 8-12 layers of 1000d.     Dan of SneakyBags felt sorry for me..lol...dropped a box of extra gear in my living room, told me to sell the stuff to buy a walking foot machine, a Yakumo DBU-N65.   Thanks Dan! 

I sort of lucked into a Singer 269W11 Bartacker, or so I thought, on Craigslist for $60 bucks, pick it up right fricken now sort of deal. It was dusty as frick, oil gummed up so I couldn't really hand crank it to follow the stitch pattern.   Turned out to be a 26-stitch, so by time I got the new fiber cam from Camatron, worm gear, etc, 110v motor, then paid Ralph's in Denver to install worm gear/adjust the machine, I was well over $600 into it.  I figured it would make my product look a bit more professional, would spare my back some pain, and would pay for itself. Could train a fricken monkey to run PALS loops, ya know?

Sold a few more items, found a Singer 212W twin needle (1/4" gauge) for $325, that I hoped to set up for running edge binding tape.  Bought the 3/16" gauge parts off of eBay (same gauge Eagle uses for tape) but I couldn't get the needle holder to time up right, so its been sitting unused.

So I have all these machines set up in an 11x13 spare room, along the four walls, storage locker in the corner, 2x6 layout table next to the Yakumo.  I just bounce back and forth between machines in a wheeled office chair performing mfg steps as needed. 

My first item was converting a BGS splinter camo hood into an M35 Helmet Cover back in 1986.    Now my biggest product is custom helmet covers for MICH, TC2001, FAST and Airframes, a non-cookie-cutter solution. 8)  Latest being a reversible cover design.
      Other stuff I do is mostly "One-Ofs" that nobody else wants to touch.  I've made everything from black hypalon concealment cut LE plate carriers, to low profile (under polo shirts) plate carriers, to pack systems and chest rigs. 
       I've been using a 2x3in embroidered patch made locally to mark some of my bigger projects but I would like to get some resin-paper tags printed up to save me some $ ($8each for the patches)
      Over the past couple of years, Eggrolly, OCMike and Chris at Downrange Gear have hooked me up with qty buckles and hardware, and hard to find camo fabric (Eggrolly!)
      I'm in Colo Spgs right now but I am trying to get myself moved to Ft Walton Beach FL area for health reasons and to pick up a walk in gear project from time to time to keep my brain occupied, and a few extra $ doesn't hurt either.

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: FNG Intro
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:35:26 AM »
Welcome!  Look forward to seeing your wares.
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:47:35 AM »
Welcome, would love to see some of your work

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:25:51 PM »
I need a new Helmut now just to put on this cover....love it.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:57 AM »
Welcome aboard, it sounds like you have had pretty good success designing and building gear.
I also like that you had got some pretty good deals off of Craigslist, my first bartacker from there was a learning experience as well. It had been tipped over onto its nose and bent the needle plate back, although the guy selling it didn't tell me, so I had to do some hammering and re threading. I also had to replace the hook because the point was busted off. It took a few weeks to figure it out and get it running, but it was a good learning experience.
A twin needle makes a great tape binder, I have mine set with 1/4" gauge for 1" tape.
Enjoy, Scott

@less@ndro

• View Profile
    • 9minuti.it
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:27:44 AM »
welcome! i really liked the helmet covers.
Website: www.9minuti.it          A smart back panel for backpain www.smileBack.cloud

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/chiocciolabstudio

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 03:39:22 PM »
Thanks for joining  :)