Author Topic: First stitch issues  (Read 380 times)

caffeine211

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
First stitch issues
« on: April 12, 2021, 09:47:01 AM »
I'm pretty new to sewing, so maybe this is a no brainer but I can't seem to fix the issue:

On my first stitch, I always get these ugly loops on the bobbin side of the fabric. Image of the issue is linked below, showing the bobbin side of the fabric. It looks like the needle thread is getting pulled through and looping. Tension adjustments don't do anything. If I physically hold the thread in place, that sometimes works... but definitely not a solution to the problem. Structurally it probably doesn't affect anything but it's really ugly. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Machine: Singer 1050 c
Needle: size 18
Thread: V69 nylon
Fabric: 500D Cordura (but it happens on everything, even multiple layers of webbing)

https://imgur.com/hQNsrhn

GoBliNuke

• View Profile
    • Ironbound Concepts
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 116
Re: First stitch issues
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 10:01:01 AM »
Back from the old days I remember some black magic involving a round piece of newspaper and machine oil, put in the bobbin case - if the problem is the bobbin moving too slow in the beginning of cycle.

savagemann

• View Profile
    • Citizen Gear Co
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 10:18:55 AM »
Have you changed the needle and rethreaded the machine?

caffeine211

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 10:34:12 AM »
Back from the old days I remember some black magic involving a round piece of newspaper and machine oil, put in the bobbin case - if the problem is the bobbin moving too slow in the beginning of cycle.

Haha well hopefully it won't come to that... I'm not sure where I'd buy a newspaper these days.

Have you changed the needle and rethreaded the machine?

I have done both. To be more clear, this is an issue that I've been living with, not a new development. I've always had this problem with multiple needles, different bobbins, dozens of machine threadings. I have not tried it with a different spool of thread.

savagemann

• View Profile
    • Citizen Gear Co
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 10:38:52 AM »
Ahhh, gotcha.
Hopefully one of the more seasoned users can chime in with an exact cause.
In the meantime, does it do it on different stitch lengths?
Also, it's good to hold the threads out of the way until you get past your starting point.
I had that issue at one point, can't remember the cause....but I was suspecting either needle deflection or the needle was pushing the top thread tail back through after reversing to lock the stitch in.

Bentneedle

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 01:02:04 PM »
When you first start to sew try  holding on to the thread for the bobbin and the needle  for the first stitch.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 12:10:26 AM »
It's a tension issue, caused by a too large variation between top (loose) and bottom (tight) tensions.

It's a very common issue on domestic machines when you try to run T70 and 18 needles, because 18 needles is really the absolute smallest size that works with T70 and you're basically having to "force" this through the fabric causing additional tension problems and strain on the motor. If it's only something that happens at the start, it's probably a weak motor that doesn't build up enough power until after it's had a few stitches.

Solution: Buy an industrial machine OR step down in thread size.

caffeine211

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »
essal,

Thank you for the info, excellent response. I also checked the manual and had the bobbin threaded in reverse. Reversing it has significantly helped but not eliminated the issue. Your explanation is on par with my experience. Once the machine starts running, things go really smooth, but those first few stitches are rough.

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 01:00:42 AM »
Essal nailed it.  Can you jump up to a 120/20 in that machine?