Author Topic: Hello from Phily  (Read 222 times)

caffeine211

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello from Phily
« on: April 12, 2021, 08:05:08 AM »
Hey everyone, I've been reading the forum for awhile now but this is my first post. Lots of great info around here, so thank you to everyone that contributes!

I'm 6'6" and 200 lbs, which is not really a typical body type. As such, the world doesn't really make things that fit me. Shirt sleeves are always too short or I have to size up so far that I'm wearing a trash bag sized shirt. I was so happy when I found Crye... the only pants that other than a tailored suit that feels like they fit. Only downside is the wife is not a huge fan of me walking around in multicam all the time.

I'm not Military or LE, just a backpacker and sport shooter. I just like the gear because its easier to customize the functionality to what I'm doing and it doesn't fall apart after a year. I was on my second warranty pack from Osprey when customer service pointed me in the direction of Mystery Ranch.

Anyways, I've wanted to get into gear making for awhile but never had the time. I got laid off because of the pandemic and found myself in a weird place. I'm attending law school in the fall so going through the hassle of searching for a new job for just a few months of employment doesn't seem worth it. Unemployment happens to give me a ton of free time though, so I'm pursuing some stuff that I wouldn't normally be able to.

My first project was hand stitching a Firstspear Tubes conversion for plate carrier. Had a blast designing it but it took like a week to do all the stitching. Picked up an old Singer 1050 c for $20 to see if I'd still like sewing. Wasn't sure it'd be able to handle sewing webbing and everything but it has performed surprisingly well. Has made it through several layers of webbing and cordura, single layer of scuba webbing. I need to use the handwheel sometimes though.

Cut my teeth on some grocery bags for the wife to learn the basics (and make the beginnger mistakes like not sewing the right sides together!!). Made a few pouches with molle and velcro. Working on a backpack kit from Sailrite now. Would love to design and build my own in the future.

Looking for to talking with everyone here and hopefully learning a thing or two!

savagemann

• View Profile
    • Citizen Gear Co
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Hello from Phily
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:38:36 AM »
Welcome aboard!

I love my Mystery Ranch pack. Use it for everything.

I've always had issues with clothes fitting as well.
Been a big dude my whole life, although not as tall as you @ 6'3" but I'm long torso'd and more round.
I've wanted to sew gear for a long time. Was always intrigued by sewing machines.
I was always mezmorized watching my mom or grandma sew.

I started losing a lot of weight about 1.5 years ago.
When the lockdown happened, I was furloughed for a few months, so I bought a machine and taught myself how to tailor all my clothes that were now way too big.
I disassembled pants and jackets and put them back together in a smaller size.
Altered a bunch of my camo clothes and gear.
Get yourself a good seam ripper!!

Then started fooling around with gear making etc.
Made a bunch of 2 piece belt systems, IFAKs, mag pouches etc.
I was using a Singer Heavy Duty 4422. The poor little machine was really struggling.
Here was my first belt, ifak and pouches I made with the singer.

That led me to buying a Juki 8700H and I really started making more heavy duty stuff.
Did a few tubes cumberbunds.

I made a few slings for myself and then buddies. Got a lot of good feedback, then jumped in and started making and selling them.
I wasn't really planning on selling stuff when I first started making gear. It was just going to be for myself and friends.
I think a lot of guys start that way.

Here is what I'm up to now. I can't seem to make them fast enough!

I really want to start making clothes and other gear, but the slings are occupying all my time.
I have lots of various materials on hand to make combat shirts etc.
Was going to make one for for summer and 1 for winter.
Have a bunch of Merino wool, polartec waffle fleece etc.
So many ideas, so little time.

I've been curious to try out a backpack kit as well. Let us know how yours turns out.